Parade Descends Into Total Chaos

Photo by Hannah Voggenhuber on Unsplash

( – More than 50 individuals were apprehended, and numerous police officers sustained injuries on Chicago’s North Side during the early hours of Monday. This chaos ensued following the city’s Pride parade, marked by incidents of people jumping on vehicles and throwing bottles.

The tumultuous events occurred around 1:30 a.m. near Clark and Halsted Streets in Lakeview, approximately 12 hours after the parade ended. The Chicago Police Department (CPD) reported that officers were pelted with objects, and four firearms were confiscated while dealing with the unruly crowds.

Those arrested faced charges including aggravated unlawful use of a weapon, aggravated battery against a police officer, aggravated assault of a transit employee, and being an armed habitual criminal.

In one notable incident, a CPD officer was assaulted by a 20-year-old woman on West School Street. The woman allegedly pulled the officer’s hair and struck the officer multiple times. She was taken into custody, and the officer, who sustained a minor laceration, declined medical treatment on-site.

Reports also emerged of fights breaking out on a bus and individuals dancing atop CTA buses. A video posted online showed a woman twerking on a CPD vehicle.

To manage the situation, CPD maintained a substantial police presence post-celebration to address the large gatherings. CPD emphasized the critical role of their officers in preventing further criminal activity, stating, “Without the responsiveness and attention of the men and women of CPD, the residents, businesses, and visitors to this area of the city would have likely faced increased criminal activity well into the early morning hours.”

The police department noted that officers worked 12-hour shifts and canceled their days off to ensure adequate resources were available to protect those living, visiting, and working in the area during and after the parade. “We thank our officers for upholding their commitment to keeping our city safe,” the CPD said.

Despite the peaceful conclusion of the Pride parade itself, which featured a shorter route and fewer floats this year, the aftermath saw significant unrest. Resident Meredith Maiorana told ABC 7 that the crowd remained rowdy long after the parade ended. “The parade was done, hours and hours [ago] and this was still happening the whole day,” she said. “People were just partying, and it was obvious people were intoxicated and just being loud and rambunctious.”

Similar disturbances occurred in New York City following a Pride parade in Manhattan. Videos posted online showed prolonged disorder, including a violent incident at Washington Square Park where a young woman was pulled by her hair over a concrete barrier and another woman was punched repeatedly.

This series of events highlights the challenges faced by law enforcement in managing large crowds and maintaining public safety during and after major celebrations.

Copyright 2024,

Previous articleState Judge Changes Election Laws Just Four Months Before Election
Next articleJustice Roberts Responsible for Several GOP Victories