Attack Reported As Potential INSIDE JOB By U.S. Government
(FeaturedNews.com) – An explosion rocked a tiny US military base located in eastern Syria, resulting in multiple injuries in early April. At the time, the Combined Joint Task Force – Operation Inherent Resolve (CJTF-OIR) said the event was the result of indirect fire originating off-base. However, on June 6, Army Criminal Investigation Division spokesman Patrick Barnes told the Associated Press the Pentagon identified an active-duty US service member as a suspect.
The situation is under investigation as an inside job, but so far, details are scarce. Authorities have not charged anyone in the incident yet but did say military officials returned the suspect to the United States.
.@barbarastarrcnn scoop: “The US military is investigating whether an American service member set off explosives in an insider attack on a small US base in northern Syria that injured four service members in April” https://t.co/xd7BWv56GV
— Sean Lyngaas (@snlyngaas) June 7, 2022
According to a statement from the Pentagon, there isn’t definitive proof of the service member’s guilt. Investigators continue to look into the matter and collect evidence that could eventually lead to criminal charges. At the moment, authorities are maintaining a tight hold on information in the case.
CJTF-OIR reported that four soldiers received medical treatment for wounds and possible traumatic brain injuries from the April 7 incident. All four returned to full duty by the end of April.
Military officials confirmed the base had sustained multiple attacks from indirect fire before this incident, including a rocket attack in 2020.
Copyright 2022, FeaturedNews.com