A woman who had previously accused Donald Trump of raping her in the 1990s in New York City made a public announcement on Tuesday saying that she would file a sexual battery lawsuit under the new Adult Survivors Act. Allegedly the rape took place while Trump was a real estate developer. In a letter published on Aug. 8, Robert Kaplan, E. Jean Carroll’s attorney, noted that Carol was planning on filing a lawsuit on Nov. 24 after New York’s Adult Survivors Act goes into effect. This new law will allow accusers to file civil lawsuits between Nov. 24 this year and Nov. 23, 2023, regardless of the time in which the misconduct occurred.
Carroll, who is a journalist, has previously filed a defamation claim against Trump. Kaplan in his letter has now noted that she would also file under the Adult Survivors Act for a suit that can be tried in February of 2023. According to the letter Carroll will sue Trump for both sexual battery and “intentional infliction of emotional distress.”
Trump has previously denied all allegations of rape from Carroll and he has said that she is “totally lying”. Carroll in turn sued him for defamations over these comments which were made in 2019.
Trump’s attorney, Alina Hobba, responded by saying that Trump objects to all of the claims made and that the “two additional causes of action-namely, battery and intentional infliction of emotional distress-would be extraordinarily prejudicial.”
In regards to the discovery efforts, Kaplan has said that Carroll has produced many of the documents requested by Defendant but that Trump had not participated in the process at all. Hobba in the initial suit said that Kaplan “repeatedly mischaracterizes the discovery efforts that have been undertaken by the parties to date.”