(FeaturedNews.com) – A good Samaritan saved the day after helping a 100-year-old woman survive a choking incident. As James Ireland, M.D. the director of the Honolulu Emergency Service Department recounted the incident, the woman had started choking and it appeared like her airways were fully obstructed before the intervention of the man who helped her.
The 100-year-old woman is being treated at the hospital following the incident. As Ireland described, she had been unable to move any air and was in a complete emergency and requiring assistance, however, the closest hospital had been 10 to 15 minutes away.
Ryan Roberts, 45, a ceramics teacher at the Iolani School in Honolulu, was driving home with his two sons when he noticed that a car had stopped on the road’s left lane. As he pointed out, the passenger door had also been opened which blocked a section of the middle lane. Roberts recalled that he had pointed out to his sons how that woman was likely going to get hurt with her car stopped there.
Other people also stopped to see what was happening, but it was Roberts who helped the woman that was choking. As he recalled, the woman’s daughter was also there trying to stop her mother from choking, but she had been unsuccessful. That was when he administered the Heimlich maneuver “gently” at first with no success. He proceeded to try more times, before being successful that the obstruction had come out.
After that the woman started to cry, but Roberts told her to focus on breathing instead.
Copyright 2023, FeaturedNews.com